All posts by admin

Reminder: No Fireworks

Just a friendly reminder that fireworks are banned July 4th and year-round in the City of Renton, which includes Maple Ridge Estates.

To enjoy fireworks safely, the community is encouraged to attend Renton’s public fireworks display on Saturday, July 4, at 10:00 p.m. at Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park in Renton, 1201 Lake Washington Blvd. Festivities and activities begin at 12:00 p.m. so go early and make a day of it with your family.

Read more about the fireworks ban at rentonwa.gov.

May 21st, 2015 Meeting Minutes

Maple Ridge Estates HOA Board Meeting

May 21st 2015

I. Call to order

  1. Attendance: Brian, Shannon, Ian, Alberta, Pete, Janet, Rick
  2. Approval of prior Meeting Minutes: approved by all

II. Committee Report

  1. ACC: no new applications for paint colors, fences, etc. Alberta’s neighbor has long grass/weeds that she will talk to about getting it mowed and cleaned up.
  2. Maintenance: Lights on the monument at the entrance at SE 158 are broken and not working. Same with the lower entrance lights. We are going to price out units and look at it to see if we can do the work versus hiring an electrician come in. All the board members present approved up to $500 for 4 lights: 2 for the upper entrance and 2 for the lower entrance. Brian will research prices.
  3. Fence: there is a broken fence by the View Pointe entrance in the upper part of the neighborhood. Pete dropped off some posts at Ricks house to help repair it. Brian and Shannon will help him.

III. Business

  1. Park benches donation: the Aulakh family is donating $500 for the benches. The board members present unanimously approved to get the 2 benches ordered for $1200. We are applying to get a matching mini grant from the city of Renton so the out of pocket for the HOA will be around $200.
  2. Upcoming Events
    a) Community Garage Sale: we are waiting to see when the surrounding neighborhoods are doing their garage sale so we can piggyback on theirs. We will send out a flier. Likely the weekend of June 27-28.
    b) City Picnic: August 12th is the picnic. We will send out fliers before that.
    c) 4th of July Picnic: it was decided to go ahead and do the picnic this year. HOA will supply the hot dogs, condiments and chips. We are asking everyone else to bring a side dish.

IV. Treasurer Report

  1. Dues: Pete advised a lot of people have paid past dues recently. About 2/3 of people have paid for this year.
  2. Audit: Pete will ask his neighbor and Rick will ask his neighbor to get the audit done by end of July.

Next Meeting will be July 30th at 7 pm. Location TBD

Playground Installation

Everything is set for the playground installation on Saturday, October 11th at 8:00am. It will take around 8 hours, and we need 15-20 volunteers. Volunteers do not need construction skills but should have strong backs and be able to read and follow directions. The typical activities in a volunteer’s day include:

  • Unwrapping and organizing each individual piece of equipment.
  • Lifting posts into the holes, or attaching the decks to the posts.
  • Some will work on individual activities such as a slides or climbers. This group will need to read directions, find all of the pieces, put all of the hardware together properly, and finally bring the activity to the Supervisor when instructed.
  • Others will mix concrete and move the concrete to the holes when instructed.

If anyone has a concrete mixer, that would be a great help. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Playground Update

We’ve finalized everything with the playground, and now have an official build date:

Saturday, October 11th, 2014

Mark your calendars, we will need as many people as possible to come help! To get you even more excited, we have some high-quality renderings of the playground and site:

Playground from the front
Playground from the front
Playground from the back
Playground from the back

Northwest Playground has also provided us with more information about the site build:

Upcoming meeting: March 26th, 7pm

We are meeting March 26th at 7 pm at Rick’s house (15813 140th Ct SE) to review both companies’ plans and quotes for the cost of the final project. We will vote on a plan/company and finalize the grant. The grant is now due April 4th.

Emergency Preparedness Courses

The Renton Emergency Preparedness Academy is offering a number courses in the coming months. For more information, see the flyer, or sign up online.

Here are some you might be interested in:

Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) – #53048
Held at: Fire Station #14: 1900 Lind Avenue SW
April 15th – May 31st
Tuesdays & Saturdays 6-9 pm
Cost: $25.00 residents/$30.00 non-residents

Traveling Disaster Ready (free) – #53045
Resilient Renton: Prepared & Aware (free) – #53047

Upcoming Meeting – Feb 12, 2014

We will be holding a meeting on February 12th. Anyone is welcome to attend. The meeting will be held at Theresa’s house at 13916 SE 156th St.

On the agenda:

  • Final vote for approval of the playground (this is not a forum for further discussion)

Jan 22, 2014 Meeting Minutes

Maple Ridge Estate HOA Meeting 1/22/14

1/22/14 – 7 PM

Board Members Present: Brian, Ian, Sean, Rick, Alberta, Julie, Theresa & Shannon

Minutes approved from last meeting on 11/14/13

Play Structure:

  • It was decided to have a board meeting 2/12/14 to vote on a play structure. We are inviting the community to attend and vote. Ian will put up the meeting notice on the HOA website and Theresa will put out the reader boards announcing the meeting 2 weeks before the meeting.
  • We have one quote for a play structure and are getting one more so we will have 2 to vote on.
  • Shannon and Ian will work on the grants from the City of Renton: one for the play structure and a mini grant for the bench.  A home owner is donating $500 for a bench.

Treasury report:

Pete was gone. Ian will get an audit done on the bank accounts for the HOA. 2 people outside of the board will complete the audit.

New Members and Positions:

  • President: Brian Ellis
  • Vice President: Ian Obermiller
  • Treasurer: Pete Giere
  • Secretary: Shannon Creekmore
  • Maintenance: Michael Sean hart and Theresa Raleigh
  • ACC: Alberta Denesen, Rick Sarkany, Julie Soranaka

Items Discussed:

  • 2 weeks ago an elderly lady was attacked by a mentally challenged young man near SE 158th and 139th Ct SE while she was going to the mail box. He was arrested. Shannon will contact the city to see what information we can release on our website and to our community about the incident and will report back on the next meeting.
  • There is a boat that has been parked on the road for a few weeks with expired tabs. Sean will call the city of Renton to have them come out.
  • Theresa gave Rick the address and license plate of a speeder in the neighborhood so he can report them to the police department.
  • Rick drafted a letter to send to the owners of the chickens. He will send that out to the board members to review the letter then will personally hand deliver the letter with one other person.
  • Sean reported that people are seeing an increase in rats. He will call the city of Renton to see if there is anything the city can do. One person has excess garbage on their property than may be attracting the rats.
  • There is still a lot of poop in the common areas. While there is one known person doing this there may be others as well.  It was approved by all members that Shannon will purchase more Mutt Mitts to supply to help eliminate the problem. Rick will also look at signs to put up to remind people to pick up their poop.
  • Ian is setting up the new HOA website and it should be up and running soon so all members will have access to it.

Oct 10, 2013 Meeting Minutes

Maple Ridge Estates HOA Meeting 10/10/13

Members present: Shannon, Ian, Pete, Julie, Theresa, Alberta, Sean

Minutes approved from last meeting on 8/22/13

Treasury Report:

  • Pete gave us a treasurers report. We have $60,665.49 total in reserves.
  • About 20 people still have not paid dues for the year. He will go to the peoples houses and drop off letters reminding them to pay by end of the year.

Maintenance Report:

  • Sean said he will be ordering the dumpster for Fall Clean Up. It will be here the weekend of Oct 18-20th.  Julie and Theresa will put the boards out on each entrance of the neighborhood this weekend to advertise.
  • It was approved unanimously by the board for Sean to spend $60-$80 for spring bulbs which will be planted in the common area off 140th .
  • Lights on 140th entrance are still going out quickly. Sean suggested LED lights but due to the costs and them being stolen we will look at other options at this point. Each member will try to research outside lights and if any have cages around the lights to people cannot steal them.

PlayGround:

  • We have one quote for a playground in the common area on the 140th entrance that Ian secured. It is for $27k. We need 2 more quotes. Brian will have his wives sisters husband company give us a quote and Julie will get the info for the company that just did her church playground.
  • We discussed getting quotes for play structures geared towards 2-12 year old.  Swings would be nice.
  • Sean will try to secure a quote from Canber on how much it would cost for them to do some of the work on the playground and get the wood chips versus the company we hire as it would be cheaper to have Canber do some work. If Canber does not call Sean back, we will have Rick call.
  • We would like to have 3 quotes by the annual meeting so we can vote then.
  • A neighbor will be donating $500 for a bench in honor of her late husband that will go near the playground. Brian will look into getting a Grant from the city of Renton to help pay for it.
  • Brian will look into whether the insurance will go up (liability) from the playground.

Concerns:

  • Sandra T. had some concerns and relayed them to Julie. It involved a tree on property owned by the neighborhood and she wants the HOA to take care of the tree. We were unclear on what she wanted to Julie will have her email Brian, the president of the board, her concerns so we can address her specific concerns.
  • Sandra T. also noticed the minutes were not on the HOA website. Julie will convey to her that we are locked out of the website and do not have the password. Brian has been working on this all year. We have copies of all meeting notes (Shannon does) and they will be online once we are able to access the website to upload them.

Annual Meeting:

  • The annual meeting will be Nov 14th at the Renton Library in downtown Renton.
  • Alberta will provide water, juice boxes and cookies.
  • Ian will talk about the playground and we will vote on it.
  • We will try to get Bob to talk about the neighborhood Block Watch Program
  • Shannon will make the flyer and will have them ready by 11/1/13. Members of the board will distribute them to the neighborhood. The boards will be out as well at each entrance of the neighborhood.
  • Need to know how many open positions we will need to fill at the annual meeting. I think 2 peoples terms are up and not sure if they are staying on.

Next meeting will be sometime in the New Year. This will be set after we have new members info.