Playground Installation

Everything is set for the playground installation on Saturday, October 11th at 8:00am. It will take around 8 hours, and we need 15-20 volunteers. Volunteers do not need construction skills but should have strong backs and be able to read and follow directions. The typical activities in a volunteer’s day include:

  • Unwrapping and organizing each individual piece of equipment.
  • Lifting posts into the holes, or attaching the decks to the posts.
  • Some will work on individual activities such as a slides or climbers. This group will need to read directions, find all of the pieces, put all of the hardware together properly, and finally bring the activity to the Supervisor when instructed.
  • Others will mix concrete and move the concrete to the holes when instructed.

If anyone has a concrete mixer, that would be a great help. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Playground Update

We’ve finalized everything with the playground, and now have an official build date:

Saturday, October 11th, 2014

Mark your calendars, we will need as many people as possible to come help! To get you even more excited, we have some high-quality renderings of the playground and site:

Playground from the front
Playground from the front
Playground from the back
Playground from the back

Northwest Playground has also provided us with more information about the site build:

March 26th, 2014 Meeting Minutes

Maple Ridge Estates HOA Meeting 3/26/14

Members Present: Alberta, Brian, Ian, Rick, Sean, Shannon, Julie, Ian and Pete

Minutes approved from last meeting on 3/1/14

The purpose of this meeting was to vote on a play structure. We had two proposals to work with: PlaySense and Playworld. We debated on the pros and cons of each proposal. After discussing each option and looking at the bids as it relates to the volunteer labor we can do as a community and the price, we decided on the Playworld bid. It comes in about $3k-$4k cheaper than the other bid and allows up to do as much volunteer work as we need in prepping the site and the actual building of the play structure.

We all reviewed the grant application for the city of Renton and finalized the grant. Shannon will get all the needed documentation together for the grant and send it out to the board members this weekend to review. Once that is done she will have Brian sign the application as he will be the project coordinator and she will turn it into the city of Renton before the April 4th deadline.

Sean brought up the issue of people being concerned there are people walking in our neighborhood that may not belong. We also brought up the incident of someone being attacked a few months ago and if we can follow up on that to keep people in our neighborhood informed. Sean will email Cyndie Parks to see if they have a flyer about neighborhood safety and walking safety. If so, we can pass this info along in our next flyer to the neighborhood.

Our next meeting will depend on when we find out about the grant and if we are approved. The grant process takes around 45 days to review. We cannot start the build of the play structure until we know if we are approved for the grant or not.

Upcoming meeting: March 26th, 7pm

We are meeting March 26th at 7 pm at Rick’s house (15813 140th Ct SE) to review both companies’ plans and quotes for the cost of the final project. We will vote on a plan/company and finalize the grant. The grant is now due April 4th.

March 1st, 2014 Meeting Minutes

Maple Ridge Estates

HOA Meeting 3/1/14 in the common area at 2PM

This meeting was to address the spot for the play structure in the common area.  Members Present were Brian, Michael, Ian, Alberta, Rick, Shannon and Julie. We also had about 7-8 other people from the neighborhood.

We discussed the area for the play structure and the concerns of it being too close to houses for the noise factor. We have a site in the common area where drainage may be an issue so we are having both companies give us a bid for the best area and the cheapest area to put the play structure. Rick will also get a quote from a professional on how much it would cost to prep the site. He will also see if they will lower their fee so we can use that towards the Grant.

The main issues we have are being able to prep the site ourselves with volunteer labor. The Grant will match volunteer labor hours. We want to be able to do as much as we can to get matching Grant funds from the city of Renton.

We are meeting March 26th at 7 pm at Ricks house (15813 140th Ct SE) to review both companies plans and quotes for the cost of the final project. We will vote on a plan/company and finalize the Grant. The Grant is now due April 4th.

Emergency Preparedness Courses

The Renton Emergency Preparedness Academy is offering a number courses in the coming months. For more information, see the flyer, or sign up online.

Here are some you might be interested in:

Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) – #53048
Held at: Fire Station #14: 1900 Lind Avenue SW
April 15th – May 31st
Tuesdays & Saturdays 6-9 pm
Cost: $25.00 residents/$30.00 non-residents

Traveling Disaster Ready (free) – #53045
Resilient Renton: Prepared & Aware (free) – #53047

Feb 12, 2014 Meetings

HOA Meeting 2/12/14 at 7 PM

Members in attendance: Theresa, Brian, Alberta, Julie, Pete, Michael and Shannon.

Meeting minutes from 1/22/14 were approved unanimously.

ACC

No new requests received. Michael gave a brochure to Julie of a fence he may get to replace his.

Maintenance

Shannon ordered Mutt Mitts (approved in the last meeting) and will put them in the bins we already in the common areas. It was voted and approved to buy 3 signs to put in the common areas to remind people to pick up their dog poop. 3 signs were previously agreed upon by the HOA and Rick will purchase them.

Brian will check out different options for the monument lighting at the south entrance to the neighborhood. It appears the part that holds the light bulbs is old and does not keep the light bulbs in place so they do not work anymore.

Block Watch

We discussed the Block Watch Program and that we need to have an annual meeting with Cyndie Parks to stay in an active status. We will put this info up on the website and try to have flier at the annual picnic so members in the neighborhood are aware of the program.

Playground

We discussed the playground. There were about 6 people from the neighborhood that are not in the HOA attend. We discussed the playground and grant application process. We were not able to get both quotes in time for the meeting today to review.

We will meet on 3/1/14 at 2 PM at the site of where the playground will be to go over both options and vote on it. Brian and Ian both secured quotes. If the weather is bad we will go to Shannons house to continue the meeting. We will need to get a list of all volunteers and the hours they will be volunteering with the playground for the grant. We will put up this info on the website so people who are interested can sign up and have the option of attending the meeting on 3/1/14. The grant app is due 3/7/14 and if approved the city of Renton will match labor hours and money raised for the project. The purpose of the next meeting is to vote on proceeding with the playground or not based on final quotes.

Treasurer

Pete handed out the estimated budget for 2014 and February’s treasurer report. He will also be mailing out the dues soon. He will include in the dues letter an option to give us your email address to receive future dues via email and will include the website for the HOA.

Next Meeting: 3/1/14 at 2 PM in the common area/park

Upcoming Meeting – Feb 12, 2014

We will be holding a meeting on February 12th. Anyone is welcome to attend. The meeting will be held at Theresa’s house at 13916 SE 156th St.

On the agenda:

  • Final vote for approval of the playground (this is not a forum for further discussion)

Jan 22, 2014 Meeting Minutes

Maple Ridge Estate HOA Meeting 1/22/14

1/22/14 – 7 PM

Board Members Present: Brian, Ian, Sean, Rick, Alberta, Julie, Theresa & Shannon

Minutes approved from last meeting on 11/14/13

Play Structure:

  • It was decided to have a board meeting 2/12/14 to vote on a play structure. We are inviting the community to attend and vote. Ian will put up the meeting notice on the HOA website and Theresa will put out the reader boards announcing the meeting 2 weeks before the meeting.
  • We have one quote for a play structure and are getting one more so we will have 2 to vote on.
  • Shannon and Ian will work on the grants from the City of Renton: one for the play structure and a mini grant for the bench.  A home owner is donating $500 for a bench.

Treasury report:

Pete was gone. Ian will get an audit done on the bank accounts for the HOA. 2 people outside of the board will complete the audit.

New Members and Positions:

  • President: Brian Ellis
  • Vice President: Ian Obermiller
  • Treasurer: Pete Giere
  • Secretary: Shannon Creekmore
  • Maintenance: Michael Sean hart and Theresa Raleigh
  • ACC: Alberta Denesen, Rick Sarkany, Julie Soranaka

Items Discussed:

  • 2 weeks ago an elderly lady was attacked by a mentally challenged young man near SE 158th and 139th Ct SE while she was going to the mail box. He was arrested. Shannon will contact the city to see what information we can release on our website and to our community about the incident and will report back on the next meeting.
  • There is a boat that has been parked on the road for a few weeks with expired tabs. Sean will call the city of Renton to have them come out.
  • Theresa gave Rick the address and license plate of a speeder in the neighborhood so he can report them to the police department.
  • Rick drafted a letter to send to the owners of the chickens. He will send that out to the board members to review the letter then will personally hand deliver the letter with one other person.
  • Sean reported that people are seeing an increase in rats. He will call the city of Renton to see if there is anything the city can do. One person has excess garbage on their property than may be attracting the rats.
  • There is still a lot of poop in the common areas. While there is one known person doing this there may be others as well.  It was approved by all members that Shannon will purchase more Mutt Mitts to supply to help eliminate the problem. Rick will also look at signs to put up to remind people to pick up their poop.
  • Ian is setting up the new HOA website and it should be up and running soon so all members will have access to it.